Thursday, February 26, 2009

As the first week of bento delivery approaches: More bento box notes

~For society members~

Thank you for all of the orders so far! It's been fun to see all the excitement that this is generating. As we are coming up on Friday (tomorrow, when I will collect your boxes from you for next week's delivery) I had a couple of things that I wanted to address.

A note about the size of your container:
I will be putting the same portion of everything in everyone's box, regardless of the container size, so if you give me a larger box, the contents will not fill the container to the brim.

For example, I will be using a cup measure to measure out rice for rice bentos (1.5 cups most likely) and for things like chicken everyone will get the same number of pieces. Everyone will get the same amount of food.

About foods touching each other:
I am not one of those people who is really particular about different types of food touching each other, and as a menu planner I try to include foods in the same box whose flavors complement each other. That being said, if you are someone who really doesn't like their foods touching each other, I would get a bento box with separate compartments. The Laptop Lunchbox is one that I know of (click on the name to go to the product page on their website).

About purchasing a box especially for bento:
It's fun, but not necessary if you have, for example, a shallow tupperware container of the appropriate size (about 20 ounces). Shallow containers are good because I arrange the food horizontally, not vertically (more pleasing to the eye).

Hope you're having fun with this, I certainly am!

No comments:

Post a Comment